Drought breaker?

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Drought breaker?

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:12 am

Glad to see some revision re: swell size on Coastalwatch.
How big does it have to be for the queenscliff bombie to break anyway?
You could see all those outer reefs breaking off long reef and further north from the bower.
Saw plenty of punters rocking down for their 3 to 6' surf with a fish under the arm at bondi and bronte.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:46 am

yesterday

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 am

Hi TC Neville....now what odds for Olga to be named today.

Double jeopardy.

Need that steering ridge to develop.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:16 am

Larry wrote:yesterday
Thanks for pointing that out lazza. Sorry for reflecting on the accuracy of yesterdays forecasting in weather and surf forecasting.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 am

steve shearer wrote:Need that steering ridge to develop.
Feck I'm praying for this Steve. I don't want anything tropical within cooeee of up there in about 10 days time.

Models are really struggling with these ones at the moment aren't they, so I can't rely on them at all for anything more than about 24-48hrs.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:18 pm

^^^jeez you're a fcuken rubberneck.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Larry wrote:yesterday
Thanks for pointing that out lazza. Sorry for reflecting on the accuracy of yesterdays forecasting in weather and surf forecasting.

day before yesterday

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:34 pm

so...what of this immense easterly fetch forming out past NZ in a few days' time and lasting into February.

think I might pay Noosa Heads a visit. don't they say that gets good in a 6'+ easterly groundswell.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I was looking at some not particularlay reliable forecast charts going out to later this week and there was a significant huge width and fetch of nor easter winds which seemed to be lasting for days, with a possible cyclone at the generation site, some 5000 kms nor east of brissie (my rough guesstimate)

It had to travel a long way after the fetch broke down, but it might have been building for over 5000 kms as well.

If it comes off, would that reach the qld beaches or just not enough strength in it to carry the distance.

Nick's comments made me think he was talking about the same thing.

Need donW to do some calcs.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 pm

oldman wrote:Need donW to do some calcs.
Sorry guys, would love to run some numbers and look into it in more detail, but my full attention is on the North Pacific now as that's where I'll be this time next week.

Bloody typical though.....I leave OS for a Surfari and Huey turns the tap on back home.....although I know for sure the crowds where I'll be will be a zillenth of what Nick will be getting at Noosa!!!!

I'm sure Steve is already onto this and he'll enlighten us further in his forecast this afternoon.
Last edited by Donweather on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:don't they say that gets good in a 6'+ easterly groundswell.
I can't see anything on the charts that's gonna deliver that swell in at least the next week+, Nick? Are you looking further out in time in the model runs?.....Like extended EC....that could certainly deliver something worthwhile?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Modeles have been hinting at this fetch to develop for a while now and like the yellow brick road it seems to just keep disappearing over the near horizon........it is solidifiying somewhat though.
Fly in the ointment is a deepening trough off the North Island which seems to drag the fetch alignment into the swell shadow of the North island......is it time to say nuke the North Island yet?
Would be very surprised if this initial incarnation delivered anything like 6ft Noosa though.
Need a fcuking cyclone hovering off Double Island Point for that kind of malarkey.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Looked at latest EC :shock:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 pm

I presume you're talking about the swell production out to the E/NE of NZ, Craig and not the insane flooding that Central Qld would incur if that EC ex TC Olga came off as progged?

And yes, the extended EC run looks insane with the storm remaining semi stationary to the E/NE of NZ, before then heading westwards and intensifying, working on an already active sea state. Now that would certainly deliver some fecking nice swell to Noosa as alluded to by Nick. Local winds though could be a write off with a moist infeed of onshore winds spoiling the party (pending ex TC Olga's movements of course).

Looks like I wont have to worry about who's gonna water my lawn whilst I'm away, that's for sure.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:23 am

Well Nick, it certainly is looking like you were smack on the money with your call......although I still reckon local synoptic winds are looking a bastard (pending movements of ex TC Olga).

And as Steve alluded too earlier, this swell event is gonna feck up the primed banks at the moment for sure........creating lovely storm bars, just like last year :evil:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:33 am

At least there is some energy out there, although onshore winds seem to be with it all the way.
Donweather wrote:and not the insane flooding that Central Qld would incur if that EC ex TC Olga came off as progged?
I'm sort of hoping that the system from that progs as currently suggested, heading south and sending heavy rain right through outback queensland, nsw and even down to SA.

Don't wish to sound callous, but the only way to break the drought out in much of those lands, and restore some health to the river systems and fill the dams is for a remnant of a TC coming down through central or north oz, as per the one that created the floods in the last month or so.

Adelaide may even get some water, menindee lakes might fill up, lachlan may get genuine flows, darling may have genuine flow for months, and the soil will get some depth in the moisture content.. Farmers, get your dingies out, your cattle to high ground and hope it comes to pass.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 pm

So the models are really starting to line up for next week. From Monday we will have building ENE swell for the forseeable future. Could be long lasting too, ie, weeks of swell - at last!!
Central Qld will also enjoy a drought breaker of the the original kind - flooding rain. Just what the Darling needs.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 am

That would be fcking right, in Melbourne for work from Monday morning until Thursday night