I Smell Something........

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: I Smell Something........

Post by Donweather » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Chin up digger....two weeks is a long time and the charts can change alot in between now and then. There looks to be another semi stationary high setting up camp over NZ from early-mid next week (and beyond) so all is not totally lost.

There's also a very remote chance that a particular S'ly groundswell magnet up your way might just be picking up some stray S'ly groundswell come late Thurs and into Fri (7th/8th), but this requires GFS to come to fruition early next week so it's still a long shot at this stage.

I also wont mention the "TC" word but one particularly reliable model is showing something up in the GoC mid-late next week?? :o

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:01 pm

10 days or so..................... :)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:28 pm

The predictions by various forecasters for the last week were pretty spot on. If you happened to hang around the mid north coast then you could get quite a few waves.

Swell was north to north east as predicted and got around the north end of Boomerang which was protected from the NE Wind. Water was cold and fresh but not hypothermic. Two to three foot faces on xmas eve.The swell picked up on Xmas day. Boxing day the wind swung south and made a few points start to look good.

We drove north to Crescent the day after boxing day and drove out of the heavy rain into sunshine and what I thought was a nr easter but ended up being more east with some punchy but a bit bumpy waves at the point at about four foot face wise.Not really that mal friendly for Crescent. Should have paddled out on my shorter board.

Monday it was a stiff northerly but swung at about one when the rain caught up. I had two surfs with the late being the best. Smooth three to four foot faces, incoming tide and looking good in the fog that covered the bay. Lots of rain and I got one of the best waves I've had for a while :D :D :D :D

Tuesday was tiny but smooth and we bailled. Crazy weather but if you were a bit mobile you could score a few.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Word Up Bean.

But what is your forecast?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Spoeaking of forecasts Steve, what's happened to your SN forecast? It's looking a little corrupted or something?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 pm

yesterdays waves put a smile on my dial I can tell ya
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:12 am

steve shearer wrote:Word Up Bean.

But what is your forecast?
Complete dross for Sydney with increasing crowds as everyone comes back from holidays. Large increase in Indian tourists for Bondi for some reason but this will not effect the surf much.

I may be forced to revert to the kids body boards if this keeps up.

Hoping to take junior for a few quick surfaris before the end of the school holidays if possible. Hopefully south to Sandon or Green Island if I can wrangle it. Although he doesn't like the paddle out much.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:17 pm

An active monsoon trough and a moist infeed of tradewinds with a small area of low pressure......hmmmmmm.....starting to smell nice and moist!!! Might not be a TC, but at least it's a start.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Donweather wrote:An active monsoon trough and a moist infeed of tradewinds with a small area of low pressure......hmmmmmm.....starting to smell nice and moist!!! Might not be a TC, but at least it's a start.
My fingers are crossed for next week don.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:27 pm

GFS is our only last hope Digger. All the other models (EC, NOGAPS etc) have gone for a woeful low pressure embedded in the monsoon trough just over the central Qld coastline. All that means for us is tradewind swell accompanied by strong onshore winds. :twisted: :evil:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:18 pm

I know this is pie in the sky stuff at the moment, but bugger me, how good does it look!!!
GFS 336hrs.png

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Donweather wrote:I know this is pie in the sky stuff at the moment, but bugger me, how good does it look!!!
GFS 336hrs.png
Is that the 21st of Jan?

Don, could you please put an order for that with the weather gods please as that's the day I arrive east to live and it'd be a great way to kick things off ? :D

Thanks.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:45 pm

It's never gonna happen OP, but at least one can dream.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:38 pm

^ Dreams are all we have....

So amped to experience an east coast late summer season after 5 years here in Perth :shock:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:57 pm

I totally blame the lack of surf up this way on me, I stuffed it, cause I went on holidays. I cant remember the last time I went on holidays and had good swell lasting more than 2 days. Has to be at least 4 years :evil:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:48 pm

howzit been this week?

forecasts hav been small but winds seem not too bad in the morning, like 7knots sw etc. slept in yesty, but lookd like a good morning.

will get out on friday morn, hope the wind stays down.

any cyclones on the horizon????

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:01 pm

No cyclones ER, but a tropical low pushing up against a slow moving high well to the east of NZ should deliver finally something from our eastern quadrant late next week. Nothing huge, but still something from the east with some power and long lined!!!