I Smell Something........

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

nu boy
regular

Re: I Smell Something........

Post by nu boy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:10 pm

You can certanly see why they call the tasman a sea when all the good weather systems are on the other side of the island chain.We may still score in the gap between vanawatu and nth island N.Z. :?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:00 pm

All is not lost with TC Mick. Looks to be a compact little fetch on his southern flank late this afternoon, modelled to intensify slightly tonight. If that comes off, then we could see something fun later into the weekend.

In addition, as he goes extratropical, he actually looks (ie modelled) to stall (fairly good agreement between models too at this stage) right on the great circle path (for us SE Qlders.... :D ) over the tip of NZ around Friday of this week. The main fetch is still certainly aimed to locations further to the north of us, but nevertheless radial spreading certainly should assist with some swell coming our way mid next week. Once again, nothing huge, but still some very inconsistent sets with power (compared to the recent N'ly windswell dribble). Biggest question is, will he stall on our great circle path or drop a few hundred k's further south and be all over red rover?

Let's see how he pans out.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Donweather wrote:BTW, anyone heading to Broome late next week, may wish to think ahead..........
TC Lawrence is currently smashing the WA top end. Category 5 and central wind gusts up to 140knts with a central pressure down to 900hPa :shock: :shock:

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Yeah, Ben just pointed that out to me :shock:

Amazing!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Are you claiming this cyclone to be what you smelt two and a half weeks ago don?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Revolution wrote:Are you claiming this cyclone to be what you smelt two and a half weeks ago don?
No, I was smelling TC Mick.

TC Lawrence is a little too far away from me to really smell, but he's dishing out some serious stink!!!

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Revolution wrote:Are you claiming this cyclone to be what you smelt two and a half weeks ago don?
:lol: :P

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 pm

surf, theres surf, tommorow morning very early, cant wait, by the way did I mention theres surf :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Yes apparently the SC was where it was at this morning. Although apparently my fav SC beachie was out of control with the crowds mind you.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Mmmmmmm.....a stationary high pressure system over NZ longitudes with a sniff of a low pressure system cradling it's northern flank. At worst......fun tradewind swell for some time to come. At best.......the ideal setup!!!

Summer is here chaps!!!

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Hope so Don, i'm praying to baby jesus, allah , buddah and the great spaghetti monster

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm

The Flying Spaghetti Monster. 8)

You're a Pastafarian Marcus?
tree2.jpg
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Mate if it brings the swell i would convert to scientology and shoot the breeze with Tom Cruise

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:57 pm

marcus_h wrote:Mate if it brings the swell i would convert to scientology and shoot the breeze with Tom Cruise
:shock: Mate, that's a BIG call. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Models look even better with the cradling occuring in the Coral Sea instead of the Tropical South Pacific. Nothing in the road of the fetch and closer to home now too!!! :D

Biggest issue will now be local synoptic winds............... :(

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:15 pm

16 seconds :P

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Actually just did some hindcasting and this actually looks like it could well be the forerunners from the fetch that developed mid last week well out past the international dateline. Perhaps there might be two long range groundswells in the water next time I get wet?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Doesnt look like anything for my holidays coming up, ahh, patience, it will come my way one day, things will turn around, and the winds will turn, they will I tell ya :evil:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".