September

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

puurri
Owl status

Re: September

Post by puurri » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:47 pm

Wrong. There's still a good chance of several very long range fetches into early NOV.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:26 pm

puurri wrote:Wrong. There's still a good chance of several very long range fetches into early NOV.
But puurri, this is the SEPTEMBER topic.. :lol: :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 am

^^ continuing into NOV. Capiche?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:20 pm

puurri wrote:^^ continuing into NOV. Capiche?
ummm? Then there's October...........Lots can happen before Nov. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 am

What is this impressive system going to give us guys?
I saw a prediction of 15 ft for Syd next weekend. Any chance of it eventuating?

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast ... ie&tim=132

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:54 am

If that thing happens as currently being predicted on several different combo sites, then it will definitely put a fascinating spin on the last calendar week of September. Crikey. It's like what shoulda happened all winter but didn't.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:35 pm

It wont do much for us folk up here in SE Qld, with the majority of it tracking parallel to the coast. Lengthy period may help some refraction, but really only at the super south facing swell magnets at best.

North facing beaches may have some remnant N/NE windswell come Wednesday, once that W/SW change comes through and cleans things up, but wave quality will leave alot to be desired (ie period = strength).

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:If that thing happens as currently being predicted on several different combo sites, then it will definitely put a fascinating spin on the last calendar week of September. Crikey. It's like what shoulda happened all winter but didn't.

Cough, cough.
I believe one forecaster has been flagging this possibility for the last 2 weeks.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Jimi wrote:What is this impressive system going to give us guys?
I saw a prediction of 15 ft for Syd next weekend. Any chance of it eventuating?

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast ... ie&tim=132
It's not that far out, temporally speaking, so seems a very real possibility.

Hopefully with a nice pre-cursor system to it to nudge it up a bit on Thursday and Friday.

While winter may not have served up the huge surf that some hoped for, this month is proving the best September I can remember. Normally it's about 30 days of westerlies and no surf whatsoever.

I also saw Don calling yesterday's surf as waist to chest high. I only saw Maroubra yesterday but it was quite a bit bigger than that.

Any swell in September surprises. This just looks weird!

I would think the max swell will be more towards Monday and Tuesday though Jimi.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:42 pm

I know everyone's eyes are focused on the Tasman lows for mid-late this week, but does anyone reckon the east coast will see any of the impressive SW swell period passing beneath Tassy on Friday? I know she's incredibly W/SW in bias, but bugger me the swell periods are insane, and hence I'm wondering if something like that can bend around and hit some of the S swell magnets along the NSW coastline (more so north of Sydney?) late Saturday and into Sunday morning?

Bugger me, anyone heading to Fiji early-mid next week will be laughin!!!

BTW - Alex, good to see you back forecasting for swellnet too mate (apologies if it's been a couple of weeks as I only just checked the Vicco surf forecast).

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:53 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:If that thing happens as currently being predicted on several different combo sites, then it will definitely put a fascinating spin on the last calendar week of September. Crikey. It's like what shoulda happened all winter but didn't.

Cough, cough.
I believe one forecaster has been flagging this possibility for the last 2 weeks.
Pissing meself larfin'. (sundry posters lapsing into sundry self justifying modes) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 am

Donweather wrote:I know everyone's eyes are focused on the Tasman lows for mid-late this week, but does anyone reckon the east coast will see any of the impressive SW swell period passing beneath Tassy on Friday?
Not sure which iteration of the forecasts this was based on Don. That second low looked like it was going to fire up some huge sw swell from under Tassie, possibly missing us, but it was always dependent on whether it tracked south or east. I think in the earlier runs it was sitting under tassie and firing sw, but it seems to be straightening up, and getting more into the Tasman, as we get closer.

The forecasts seem to have lined up better with each passing run. I'm interested in thermalben's update on swellnet tomorrow. With the latest runs, you would be more hopeful, no?

Edit: BTW, looks more like sunday through next week. Charts have been moving around a lot in the past few days, and Ben refers to the 'complexity' of these conditions making it harder to predict.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Oldman, my question has nothing to do with the low pressure systems in the Tasman......nor the ones that Thermalben was referring to in his forecast yesterday.

I was asking whether the swell that's been discussed in this article, has any remote chance of bending around Tassy and up into the east coast.....more so the NE coast of NSW?

http://www.swellnet.com.au/dispatch.php ... 210909.php

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Cheers donw, apologies for once again misinterpreting you.

So you're talking about the swell that is passing under tassie, not the weather system that created it.

This should have given it away.
Donweather wrote:any of the impressive SW swell period passing beneath Tassy on Friday
In answer to your question, my opinion is that we will see none of it.

Ben will hopefully come on and provide something scientific. I read some work on his site some time ago about the relative energy levels of the sw swells that often march up the coast, and I think there is some 'formula' he works on where the main variable is the original angle of the swell and how far it has to come around to reach the shore. IIRC, his hypothesis was that the angle was the chief determinant, with energy levels dropping exponentially with the amount of change of angle required.

To hit say north coast NSW would require something like a 90-135 degree turn. Vast majority of energy lost in transit.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:21 pm

oldman wrote:Vast majority of energy lost in transit.
With a swell period in excess of 20 seconds, then it's got some substantial energy to lose!!

I agree it's a long shot and I don't think anywhere south of mid coast of NSW will see it, but I'll be keeping an eye on the south swell magnet wave buoys north of Nth NSW this weekend to see if they detect any hint of some super long period groundswell.

EDT - Just ran some numbers and by my calculations it, (the hawaiin style groundswell) comes within 200-300km (east) of the most easterly location in Australia, albeit at a very diluted swell height!!

Gone_West
Grommet

Post by Gone_West » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:21 pm

I've always found windguru reasonably accurate.. they are predicting 6.1m @ 14 seconds from the SSE next Tuesday :shock:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:05 am

all this means jack squat for se queensland :evil: oh well, might try my hand at fishing....... Hope Im wrong
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:11 am

Donweather wrote:With a swell period in excess of 20 seconds, then it's got some substantial energy to lose!!
Huge!
Donweather wrote:I agree it's a long shot and I don't think anywhere south of mid coast of NSW will see it, but I'll be keeping an eye on the south swell magnet wave buoys north of Nth NSW this weekend to see if they detect any hint of some super long period groundswell.

EDT - Just ran some numbers and by my calculations it, (the hawaiin style groundswell) comes within 200-300km (east) of the most easterly location in Australia, albeit at a very diluted swell height!!
What do you do for a day job by the way Donw.

Now if we could just get rid of Tasmania, no point in moving it, may as well just sink it, then I reckon there would be a fair chance of it wrapping around under Vic and making its way up the coast, possibly hitting north coast.

First NZ, then tassie. Got some work cut out for us DW.