August

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

August

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:37 am

Not traditionally one for the afficionados but as Don has pointed out the charts are looking insane.
Has anyone here seen a more active southern storm track for this time of year?
Now as to the deepening trough off the tropical qld coast....
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: August

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 am

I'd be interested in other's opinions. I have long associated this time of year with the wild and continuing westerlies, drying the very marrow out of your bones (for the Sydney-centric),

while your part of the world Steve gets these glorious sunny mild days. I used to get up to Grafton in August regularly for the Grafton Cup/Ramornie etc and the dishlickers, and the weather was always beautiful. It was like leaving winter behind a few weeks early.

While underneath oz these outrageous, tremendous lows traversed the southern ocean like giants guarding the entrance to antarctica.

The current charts seem to be different in that they may just be turning those lows to provide a northerly stream, just in the swell window between Tassie and NZ coincidentally.

So the storms don't seem so out of season as much as the angle they are turning. Again though, interested in others working on less anecdotal analysis than mine.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 pm

oldman wrote: I used to get up to Grafton in August regularly for the Grafton Cup/Ramornie etc and the dishlickers, and the weather was always beautiful. It was like leaving winter behind a few weeks early.

While underneath oz these outrageous, tremendous lows traversed the southern ocean like giants guarding the entrance to antarctica.
Nice metaphor Olds......but giants are more stationary aren't they.

Also Grafton in August......that is evocative in itself.

Anecdotally I'd also associate August with westerlies but last August was insane for us here with constant very strong straight south swell.
This one is shaping up well.......after the stormtrack all winter being concentrated E to SE of NZ, now as you say we are seeing more activity in the Tasman sea.
I'd fcuking eat a pile of dogshitt to be in Fiji for the next 2 weeks or New Cal., or the Cooks or the S......
the Fiji met south-west pacific marine bulletin makes for mouth-watering reading.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:53 pm

steve shearer wrote:Nice metaphor Olds......but giants are more stationary aren't they.
those things are so big and so powerful, can look like a huge cyclops eye
the Fiji met south-west pacific marine bulletin makes for mouth-watering reading.
Not having surf travelled much, it's hard for me to imagine what this stuff would look like when it hits fiji/islands. What is that, about 5000 + kms of travelling before hitting landfall, gives them plenty of time to line up and arrive in long period trains.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 pm

steve shearer wrote:I'd fcuking eat a pile of dogshitt to be in Fiji for the next 2 weeks or New Cal., or the Cooks or the S......
I was only saying this to a mate earlier in the week Steve, particularly the "S"......noting the damn impressive swell periods. Any idea on the local winds up that way this time of year Steve? Are there trades that consistently blow offshore in the land of the "S" this time of year, or is it similar to Northern Hemi winter and more light and variable until the imposition of the MJO traverses over?

Whoops, only just realised there's a few "S" locations and we may be talking about a different one. I was referring to the same country I visited earlier in the year, but on the southern hemi side!!!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:23 pm

steve shearer wrote:Now as to the deepening trough off the tropical qld coast....
Care to enlighten us on your thoughts for this one Steve? Is she gonna happen or merely a figment of the models imagination at present?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Also I would have preferred if we kept this in the other thread "Huey is a Legend" as it seems to be working well. Everytime I post some nice words towards the old fella he seems to turn on the goods quite nicely. :wink: :D

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Donweather wrote: Are there trades that consistently blow offshore in the land of the "S" this time of year, or is it similar to Northern Hemi winter and more light and variable until the imposition of the MJO traverses over?

Whoops, only just realised there's a few "S" locations and we may be talking about a different one. I was referring to the same country I visited earlier in the year, but on the southern hemi side!!!
I know a bloke who consistently goes there for these swell events.
He won't say much but he keeps going back.
Yes we are talking about the same place.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Ya see what happens....you start a new thread talking about the charts and what happens.....poof.....the swell generating machine dissappears from them.....perhaps if we delete this thread and go back to the Huey is a Legend one, then the charts may resurrect the pretty girl in the 12z runs!!!

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:00 pm

August Burns Red

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:35 am

I reckon the whole thing is about to turn to shit.

SW Pacific about to be attacked by a severe case of Off Season Rubberiness.

Oldman's easterly fetch will give trev the two foot beachies he so keenly desires. Then vanish into the mid latitudes beyond NZ.

Blustery false northerlies to send water temps plummeting to spectacular lows.

West Oz to be slammed by fronts the likes of which King Neptune himself would prudently avoid in favour of a coupla weeks in Hamilton Island.

And Indonesia will continue to go completely nuts so Peely can continue his pursuit of the tube shot requested by shearer.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Peely, nice shots of Bonga and the crew in the latest ALB by the way. I'm Telo bound next season - was most of that shoot at GT's?
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:..... a severe case of Off Season Rubberiness.
It has that look about it now Nick

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I reckon the whole thing is about to turn to shit.

SW Pacific about to be attacked by a severe case of Off Season Rubberiness.

Oldman's easterly fetch will give trev the two foot beachies he so keenly desires. Then vanish into the mid latitudes beyond NZ.
A little curious why you think it's about to turn to shit Nick? That semi-stationary high to the east of NZ, combined with a small area of low pressure on it's NW flank is likely to create a fairly good sized E'ly groundswell for early to mid next week (even for the vast majority of the east coast, including a NE groundswell for Tassie). Place this with current charts showing potentially offshore winds during this time, and I have to say that's a god send for us Qlders at this time of year.

Far from shit in my books?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Oldman's easterly fetch will give trev the two foot beachies he so keenly desires.
To quote a well known footy common-tater, "No no no-no no no"
Have no problem with 2 footers but not beachies. Points please. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Any reason why no one's starting to get excited about the swell that's set to grace our shores early-mid next week? Has Unca Nick put a dampner on everyone's frothmeter?

Yeah sure you southern folk have seen some better waves of late, but for us here in SE Qld, it doesn't get much better than an inconsistent 4-5ft+ E'ly groundswell (at least) in August!!!! Yeah sure NW winds wont be doing the points any favours, but hey, I know several places that will be lovin a NW wind!!!

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:31 pm

My end of the NSW coast was known in the days of sail as the"Paddock" as you got belted and smashed through Bass strait by the roaring 40s you could turn left as you hit the Tasman sea and get past Gabo and Disaster Bay and the calm waters would feel like you've reached Eden.
We often see the southerly swell well out to sea slowly being refracted to come ashore north of Ulladulla
AAAArgh and a north - north east swell never hit Merimbula.
Good for this end south island NZ getting gale force smacked (back end of low ) just before the gale slips east of NZ.
July had this shape________________________________________________________________ :(
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am

Donweather wrote:Any reason why no one's starting to get excited about the swell that's set to grace our shores early-mid next week? Has Unca Nick put a dampner on everyone's frothmeter?
Hey Donw, (capo di tutti capi) it's a bit hard to get excited by next week's swell when the charts are so dynamic.

From Monday to this morning the charts have changed a lot, just about every run.

and while the low over the top of NZ looks like producing the goods, we may not see any of it, and you too, because the charts are now showing a pretty serious east coast low developing just off Byron, which will create a whole different scenario and some wild swell, winds and rain. Next week could be anything as this could change substantially between now and the weekend.

Shearer, get the umbrella out again, and maybe the kayak as well.