August

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: August

Post by Donweather » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 pm

My hopes have been deflated somewhat since I made that post oldman.

Seriously though......we have to do something about that Rex Hunt of an island across the Tasman. It's in a right cnut of a location!!!

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:48 pm

Late August and September Sinny and south will be better than expected. OK?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Hey Merks, don't mix the painkillers with alcohol.......well actually if you're washing it down with Little Creatures I spose the locqaciousness is excusable and maybe a whole lot of fun.
Jeez, a cold little creatures sounds like a fine idea.
Good luck with the dodgy back.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:57 pm

merkin wrote:
Weakness for the next year or so :!: :shock:

Sounds like what I've done - still buggered. Looks like another two weeks on land at least. Hopefully.
Unfortunately so :(

Initially I was 6 weeks out and 2 weeks bed ridden, count myself lucky that it wasn't serious.

Problem is that the acute onset is best managed by benzos (Valium) to relax the muscles and stop the spasms :lol: Great way to take it easy but can't really work like that.

And all from starting a lawnmower...
merkin wrote:What happened to the two minute noodle thread?

My favourite is the Nissin brand - tonkotsu flavour. Get your water boiling and chuck in chopped carrot, frozen peas, rip some bukchoy and shallots out of the garden - whatever and the noodles. Crack an egg in a bowl and cover with a plate and microwave for one minute. Put the egg on that plate and slice and then in the bowl put the flavour sachets with some soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce. Strain yer noodles and veges and mix into the bowl. For the meat quotient you can't go past some chopped left over BBQ snags (from the Byron butcher :oops: ) or some tinned tuna if you've run out of bangers.

Sounds nice :D
merkin wrote: Speaking of meat I spent yesterday morning chasing a two month old calf Today I have to paint some shelves for Mrs Merkin because I am too retarded to do anything else - except go into town to buy beer so I can watch the cricket tonight. I can't seem to find Little Creatures Pale Ale on special. http://www.boozle.com has it at sixty bucks everywhere.
A bit too floral for my tastes, like the Golden Ale and their Rogers though. I will crack a James Boag Lager tonight I think.
merkin wrote: I think they should leave Clark in and go with the same team from the fourth test - don't mind Clark though he does have an uncanny resemblance to Mrs Merkin's cousin Jim who lives by himself and inhabits some dark internet gaming netherworld. We call him Robot. I don't think he is interested in sport though.
Does cousin Jim also have the same tic and head twitch that Clark has as well?

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:24 am

Are we going to get one last decent swell before Shitember flatness hit's in full force......?
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:43 am

merkin wrote:What happened to the two minute noodle thread?

My favourite is the Nissin brand - tonkotsu flavour. Get your water boiling and chuck in chopped carrot, frozen peas, rip some bukchoy and shallots out of the garden - whatever and the noodles. Crack an egg in a bowl and cover with a plate and microwave for one minute. Put the egg on that plate and slice and then in the bowl put the flavour sachets with some soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce. Strain yer noodles and veges and mix into the bowl. For the meat quotient you can't go past some chopped left over BBQ snags (from the Byron butcher :oops: ) or some tinned tuna if you've run out of bangers. Speaking of meat I spent yesterday morning chasing a two month old calf around - buggered back and all - I was going to tackle it - because it had stepped on an empty plastic plant pot and it got stuck on it's leg. Gave up and it seems to have shaken it off this morning. Today I have to paint some shelves for Mrs Merkin because I am too retarded to do anything else - except go into town to buy beer so I can watch the cricket tonight. I can't seem to find Little Creatures Pale Ale on special. http://www.boozle.com has it at sixty bucks everywhere. I think they should leave Clark in and go with the same team from the fourth test - don't mind Clark though he does have an uncanny resemblance to Mrs Merkin's cousin Jim who lives by himself and inhabits some dark internet gaming netherworld. We call him Robot. I don't think he is interested in sport though.
That's a nice piece of Grandpa Simpson channelling you did there merks. :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:44 am

puurri wrote:Late August and September Sinny and south will be better than expected. OK?
Hope you're right puurri.

Been reading the tea leaves?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:50 am

^^. Just talking to some Dharawal mob on seasonal changes. Read Don's surf check on the Dharawal seasons a few days back for an idea. Mind you there doesn't have to be much of a swell to make it "better than usual"; the law of averages being what it is. :lol:

Anyway there's going to be some really big wind storms passing through the southern half of NSW and VIC.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:37 pm

puurri wrote:^^. Just talking to some Dharawal mob on seasonal changes. Read Don's surf check on the Dharawal seasons a few days back for an idea. Mind you there doesn't have to be much of a swell to make it "better than usual"; the law of averages being what it is. :lol:

Anyway there's going to be some really big wind storms passing through the southern half of NSW and VIC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous ... an_seasons Dharawal Seasons and Climatic Cycles Talk

Code: Select all

According to the Dharawal people, we are now in the Season of the Ngoonungi or Flying Fox, when the winds blow the flowers from the wattles. Before this was the Season of Wiritjiribin, the Lyrebird. Fran Bodkin of the Dharawal people will describe the six yearly seasons, each indicated by the activity of a particular plant and animal. There was also the twelve-year Mudong Cycle which has eight seasons, and a massive Garuwanga or Dreaming Cycle with only four seasons but which could last up to 20,000 years. All these seasons and cycles, and many other minor cycles, interacted with each other. As a Christmas special, Fran’s beautifully illustrated book will be available for purchase at a discount Friends’ price.

Season of the echidna

When: Wed 10 Dec, 10.30 am-12 noon
Where: Maiden Theatre, Royal Botanic Gardens
the wind earlier this month would've had a tough time blowing wet wattle off the trees, gee they can hold the rain.

After it rains there's a lot of clay around to play with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gweagal if that's all right :shock:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:07 pm

^^^ Cool bananas. Fran's mob are from around the 'gong and Gavin's from around Camden. Both work for DECC. (Fran did the wiritjiribin book)

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:22 pm

News Online's Sarah Collerton, Thursday August 20, 2009 - 06:05 EST - ABC © ABC 2009 wrote: Weather News

Dr Tim Entwisle, executive director of the Botanic Gardens Trust in Sydney, says there should be at least five seasons rather than four.

He says Australia has just slapped the European season system onto its climate, but it is not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

"We should really rearrange our seasons because the system we have at the moment is one we've inherited from Europe and it doesn't make any sense in Australia," he told ABC News Online.

"Having four three-month seasons was not designed to fit around the Australian climate. It's a bit of tradition, but it doesn't make any sense in the place we live.

"Something with more seasons would work better and something that unhooks us from these arbitrary European seasons.

"What we haven't done is look around us: What actually happens is we think of spring, and we imagine warm weather and flowering, but in August you get this big flush of flowering."

Dr Entwisle believes our spring should be in August and September for only two months, then we should have a pre-summer in October and November, followed by a "real" summer from December to March - "We need a big, long summer" - and then a short autumn in April and May followed by a short winter in June and July.

He says this plan would not only better suit our climate, it would also help us better understand the effects of climate change.

"We're living through an era of accelerating climate change and so we need to be more attuned to the world around us and how it is changing," he said.

"If every year we think, for example, that spring comes early because it's in August that the flowers come out, then how are really going to detect any changes if we haven't even got our seasons understood?

"It's about understanding the place we live in and then looking at how that place is changing over time."

And even though Dr Entwisle believes five seasons would fit best, he says it is something that is open for debate.

"There's a lot of ideas out there, certainly Indigenous communities around Sydney have six seasons," he said

"There is a groundswell of people unhappy with the seasons we have."

He says the five-season plan would work up and down most of the east coast of the country, but it could be altered depending on where you live.

"Up in Darwin and in the north, you have either two seasons and Aboriginal people up there have six," he said.

"So clearly it's different for different places in Australia, but the four-season system doesn't work at all.

"I'd be encouraging different areas to have local regional seasons, to spend some time working that out and to use them to reflect what's going on around us."

And with no official season board or committee, it may be up to Aussies to name these potential seasons.

"There's a horrible name that's been suggested for the season between summer and spring, which would be sprummer," Dr Entwisle said.

"And then early spring could be sprinter. But I'd love to use a botantical name - a season called wattle would work for me.

"Who knows, maybe we could have a competition for season names?"
Seas and stars, wrote:Warning: This article may contain the names and images of Aboriginal and Islander people now deceased. It also contains links to sites that may use images of Aboriginal and Islander people now deceased.

One Tagai story depicts the Tagai as a man standing in a canoe. In his left hand, he holds a fishing spear, representing the Southern Cross. In his right hand, he holds a sorbi (a red fruit). In this story, the Tagai and his crew of 12 are preparing for a journey. But before the journey begins, the crew consume all the food and drink they planned to take. So the Tagai strung the crew together in two groups of six and cast them into the sea, where their images became star patterns in the sky. These patterns can be seen in the star constellations of Pleiades and Orion.
Last edited by daryl on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Tagai are a Torres Strait mob. There are options all over for the Pleiades (7 sisters) but all are similar (cautionary tales). BTW google Anglo Australian Observatory for some more local tales.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:24 am

revival :|

since I bagged last years forecast, let's see what this wind drags up :|

anyone know what happened to the bom loop?
somehow the link I had has changed to this,
and I'm a bit lost

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/ ... &number=20

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Found it,

let's see if this is the same

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/ ... ewer.shtml

yup the world's still here all good.

have to press play now though :?