Fools Gold

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

munch
Harry the Hat

Re: Fools Gold

Post by munch » Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 am

oldman wrote:That would be even more embarassing than me, at least I only told everyone I knew, not the entire readership of the SMH.

So anyone seen this phantom swell? I'm already drafting my letter of apology? :oops:
Old's, I'd wait a bit before you draft that letter.

I was out this morning and it did seem to be getting bigger, so there may be something on the way ...
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon May 11, 2009 12:04 pm

munch wrote:
oldman wrote:That would be even more embarassing than me, at least I only told everyone I knew, not the entire readership of the SMH.

So anyone seen this phantom swell? I'm already drafting my letter of apology? :oops:
Old's, I'd wait a bit before you draft that letter...
Yeah, still hopeful munch.

Was sure it would be here by now. Still coming in according to reports, now saying Tuesday and Wednesday as a peak (from what I hear)

Which all means that there should be plenty left when I get my next chance on Thursday. :D
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm

brendo wrote:i know of a bombie between yamba and byron (nah youse wont find it on ggogle earth
:|
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Old's looks like today's building swell will ease off into tomorrow before being reinforced by a smaller swell on Wednesday morning, therefore it will ease back to more of a manageable size range over the next two days as winds swing offshore :D

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon May 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Hmmmm, looks as though we may well have deja vu around mid next week with another possible low stalling over the SW tip of NZ. Let's hope this girl packs a wee bit more punch than the current Hanna Hoax!!

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts ... 2009051100!!/

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon May 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks for that piece of information DonW.

I'm predicting, ah, I'm predicting, well, ummmm, nothing actually.

Sounds like the ocean is stirring a bit out there. Perhaps some of this hoax has finally landed. If I go for a morning walk I'll see about getting a pic of wedding cake island.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Yes after my last post above where I called her Hanna Hoax I decided to look at the Coffs Wave Buoy and well, you know, we may actually see something from this girl after all in the wee hours of tomorrow morning in SE Qld.

Doing some hand calcs and based on a wave period of 15 seconds, a wave group speed of 40-45 km/hr seems reasonable, thus with a travel distance of 350-400 km between Coffs and SE Qld, my calculations are showing we should see a spike (peak) in swell period around 3am tomorrow morning across SE QLD, give or take an hour or so. Let's see what the morning holds..............tic toc, tic toc.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 12, 2009 5:34 am

Pitch black at the moment but the buoys look reasonable and it sounds loud.
Just heard a set that sounded like a stack of heavy lumber toppling to the ground.
By sound I'd say 4-6ft: but that hardly a reliable forecast tool is it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 am

So was it 4-6ft Steve? I notice your report this morning only indicated 3-4ft??

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue May 12, 2009 9:11 am

"Don Norris, who operates the realsurf.com website, said early predictions indicated that Sydney would see the biggest surfing conditions since the 1970s.

At reef breaks off Queenscliff, Long Reef and Coogee wave faces up to nine metres high were possible. Fairy Bower at Manly is also expected to provide epic conditions.

Waves of up to four metres were expected at surf beaches, with occasional sets of waves topping seven metres. The swell was expected to be even bigger on the beaches south of the Illawarra.

Mr Norris said most Sydney beaches would be unrideable for all but the most experienced surfers. However, he said the conditions were also likely to bring rideable waves to beaches that normally had little swell.

Sheltered harbour beaches such as Balmoral, Nielsen Park and Fairlight Pool could all have reasonable surf."
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 12, 2009 6:38 pm

Silence in the engine room.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue May 12, 2009 7:55 pm

steve shearer wrote:Silence in the engine room.
LOL....well I'm hitting up my fav SC haunt in the morning. Winds have already gone WNW up there so that's enough to get me motivated....irrespective of the swell.....should still have some 2-3ft+ leftovers up there in the morning me hopes.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Checked there this morning Don, wasn't pulling in much swell. Banks are in good shape tho. Surfed fun Ann st, was more swell hitting there, and Cockatoo's just to the N of Ann st. I've got a swell magnet in mind, that was solid this morn, but a bit wind affected. Should be cracking in the morn :D .

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Shane Peel wrote:You know the funniest thing about all surfing, chart junkies … we wanna believe. It's a walk-up start for the met crew. Even when the chart is lookin bad we find a loop hole of hope, when it looks good we search for affirmation that OUR dreams will come true. What is it in our nature that makes surfers doubt everything else from design to surf labels but still see the good is a suss chart. NC, Sheep, Don over to you guys for some D&M on the weather. :D :D :D :D :D
A lot of truth in it Shane. Junkie is right. It's just like a drug addict, convincing myself that I can see things that aren't there, or that there is a sliver of hope when my brain is telling me otherwise.

But there is always hope, still with all our meteorological genius there occasionally comes a swell that no-one calls, that can't be explained by any reference to charts or wams, that surprises everyone.

Fewer and further in between, but these mysto swells still come along, and I will continue to believe, to believe, to believe ......

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 pm

Did someone say "Eden buoy" is just startingto show :shock: :P :mrgreen:
See u in the water :wink:
All these drawings about dinosaurs… Why can’t we have photos?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue May 12, 2009 10:19 pm

What happened is you all fcken jinxed it. Everyone of you who posted in this thread. On my memory the last swell that not only delivered what was predicted, but bumped up a notch over night before it was meant to arrive ... was when we all talked like it wasnt going to happen.

Your all just puppets dancing for huey and the problem is, huey is ****.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 am

Yeah I went out this morning at a certain protected south coast reef and revo is right. We totally jinxed it.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 am

Why would you go out at a protected reef in a 6ft swell? Plus its hardly the swell of the century.
Revolution wrote:What happened is you all steenkinbodges! jinxed it. Everyone of you who posted in this thread. On my memory the last swell that not only delivered what was predicted, but bumped up a notch over night before it was meant to arrive ... was when we all talked like it wasnt going to happen.

Your all just puppets dancing for huey and the problem is, huey is a spinky sping spingity boo!!!.
Point proven? Insult huey and he comes back with some swell. Caress his cock and he makes you look an ass. Now im going surfing.