Japanese whalers slaughter minke and calf in name of science

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Freshie Boy wrote:i hope the threadmaker realises that Minkes are the "pigeons" of the ocean in reference to cetaceans.

So let me get this straight, the only way to save the whales to interfer which ecosystems 10s of millions of years old and kill other whales that may or may not be related to bird?

Phew, what great timming by the japanese that they are conducting "scientific research" on them. Otherwise the whales would be gone.

--++sunstroke++--
Harry the Hat

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:30 am

[Devils Advocate]

Do you eat Beef Chambers?

If you main or kill a cow in India, you wouldn't want to be hanging around for too long otherwise you'll suffer a death far more gruesome than any whale :shock:

What about Kangaroo?

A lot of foreigners are more than surprised that we eat our coat of arms :idea:

[/Devils Advocate]

p.s. We should discuss this further over dinner one night? Sushi & teppanyaki sounds good :wink:

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:12 am

Barring cynical manipulation by the media, but they'd never do that now would they :roll: , I'm with Ms. Temple on this one.
From The World Conservation Union website:

"The Common Minke Whale’s classification as Near Threatened (under the 1996 categories and criteria) was based on the major declines in some stocks (e.g., J-stock in the western North Pacific) which, when aggregated, could have meant that there was an overall decline of at least 20%, the threshold for listing species as Vulnerable under the 1996 criteria. Although the continuing threat of commercial and "scientific" whaling is generally well known, the incidental mortality of Common Minke Whales in fish nets and traps, which occurs throughout their range (e.g., Tobayama et al. 1992, Van Waerebeek et al. 1999), has been given little attention. Such mortality should be taken into account in assessments to ensure that whaling quotas are appropriately risk-averse (e.g., IWC 1998, p.133). Also, since the meat and blubber of "by-caught" whales has commercial value in Japan and the Republic of Korea, there is an incentive to set gear deliberately in places where it is likely to catch minke whales, or to"drive" whales toward the nets. This issue has been a major source of controversy within the IWC’s Scientific Committee."

GO THE BLUBBER-TARDS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

puurri
Owl status

krill

Post by puurri » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 am

I'd be worried that commercial seiners are catching krill in sufficient numbers to deplete stocks below the replacement rate in some regions. Krill are the basis of all higher forms of marine life, therefore no krill no fish and cetaecans. an oceanic desert if you like. (and minkes also tuck into krill big time)

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:42 am

smnmntl, you are deadset the funniest bastard. reading this thread this morning I nearly coughed up cereal all over my laptop.

I know it is a sad thing to see a mother and calf being hauled up into that ship but it is probably the best thing that could happen! this photo is going to cause so much international outrage. just you wait until Sea Shepherd get back in the area... they will want vengeance! I am hanging out for their press release to see their take on it all.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:09 am

Here is the Japanese justification, from http://icrwhale.org

AUSTRALIAN CUSTOMS PHOTOS MISLEAD THE PUBLIC

7 February 2008

The Institute of Cetacean Research has again condemned the Australian media for creating emotional propaganda to mislead the public.

A photo released by the Australian Government窶冱 Oceanic Viking has carried a headline alleging a mother minke and her calf were taken in the research programme.

The Director General of the ICR, Mr Minoru Morimoto said: 窶弋he photographs taken by the Oceanic Viking and which major Australian newspapers published today shows two minke whales, but they are not a mother and her calf as claimed by the media.窶・

窶廾ur research program requires random sampling of the Antarctic population, and therefore there will be a range of sizes. It is necessary to conduct random sampling of the Antarctic minke population to obtain accurate statistical data.窶・

The smaller of the two whales in the Australian Customs photograph was 5.3 metres in length, while the larger one was 8.3 metres. Both whales were female, and both were not lactating.

窶弋he Government of Australia窶冱 photographs and the media reports have created a dangerous emotional propaganda that could cause serious damage to the relationship between our two countries. It is important the Australian public is not misled into believing false information,窶・he said.

---

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:00 am

"They are not a mother and a calf as claimed by the media"

Oh let me guess it's a minke and a midget minke :roll:

The Jap whalers have a tactic where they harpoon the calf first. It causes the mother to circle her calf in distress, making her an easier target. Basically they use the injured calf as a kind of bait to draw the mother closer towards them. It's sick but unfortunately effective.

Puurri :arrow: Definitely hit the nail on the head about Krill. Antarctic Krill stocks are decreasing rapidly and scientists believe it's due to the ever decreasing sea ice. Not only is it bad news for the whales who feed on Krill (and the rest of the Antarctic ecosystem which depends on Krill) but it's very bad news for humans too. It was discovered back in '06 i think that Krill are very good at absorbing and removing carbon from the atmosphere (better than we thought). They 'parachute' down to the depths of the ocean, taking the carbon down with them and effectively burying it. The alleged statistic is they remove carbon equivalent to the emissions of 35 million cars a year, i'm still trying to fathom that :shock:

Anyway back on topic...at the end of the day the ICR can spin that photo however they like but they still killed and adult and baby whale. Given the wider scientific community has continued to advise Japan of non-lethal methods of conducting research on whales, there really is no way to justify what they are doing.

Where are their research papers?

I read this morning that

"the images also showed a whale struggling on the end of a harpoon line under the bow of the catcher boat Yushin Maru, and then the same animal lifeless.

Its head clearly showed entry wounds in a hunt where a high powered rifle is used to finish minkes that are still alive after being hit by an explosive-tipped harpoon."

Loving It
Grommet

Post by Loving It » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:25 am

Its a freaking shame that these bastard jap whalers are doing this off our coast and still using the same freaking poor man's excuse of its for scientific research, they even said that the calf wasn't related to the whale they butchered, the calf was just near it when they harpooned the mother, they said, Send in the coastal guard and let off a few rounds of 50 calibre bullets over the japs bow to make them piss off and stay the fark away

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:06 pm

^^ now you're just getting carried away

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:24 pm

smnmntl wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:Anyone ever eaten veal from an unborn calf?

It's delicious alright... but fisting the pregnant cow to get it is the really fun part

You're just in a purple patch at the moment there Simon. Some of your work over the last week has been your best ever.

Worth every one of my 8 cents a day.

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:34 pm

oldman wrote:You're just in a purple patch at the moment there Simon. Some of your work over the last week has been your best ever.

Worth every one of my 8 cents a day.

well, as I'm sure you're aware, there's a writers' strike on at the moment. Simon is at loose ends.
Their loss is our gain what. :lol:

Marine Jacket Spud
Grommet

Post by Marine Jacket Spud » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Chamberess wrote:"They are not a mother and a calf as claimed by the media"

Oh let me guess it's a minke and a midget minke :roll: "[/i]

What are you picking on midgets for? Just because they are small doen't mean they have to be placed in the same category as children! Anyhow it might have been a dwarf minke, which is different to a midget. (Midgets bodies look normal, where as dwarves can have shorter arms and legs.)

In the case of a whale, shorter tail and fins?

Well perhaps the Japanese really are conducting research on various types of whale and this one is a midget, or dwarf and not a calf?

BA
Snowy McAllister

Post by BA » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Marine Jacket Spud wrote:

What are you picking on midgets for? Just because they are small doen't mean they have to be placed in the same category as children! Anyhow it might have been a dwarf minke, which is different to a midget. (Midgets bodies look normal, where as dwarves can have shorter arms and legs.)

Well perhaps the Japanese really are conducting research on various types of whale and this one is a midget, or dwarf and not a calf?

Hey jizzjockey. Notice how no-one replied to your previous rant. It's because you are a dickhead.

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:19 pm

BA wrote:
Marine Jacket Spud wrote:

Hey jizzjockey. Notice how no-one replied to your previous rant. It's because you are a dickhead.

Good one BA
Exactly what i was thinking.

Marine Jacket Spud
Grommet

Post by Marine Jacket Spud » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:34 pm

[/quote]Good one BA Exactly what i was thinking.[/quote]

Well done Murdoch - thanks for sharing your thoughts wooooooh :shock:

Marine Jacket Spud
Grommet

Post by Marine Jacket Spud » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:45 pm

BA wrote:Hey jizzjockey. Notice how no-one replied to your previous rant. It's because you are a dickhead.

I will let you enjoy your opinion BA. The one your friend Murdoch applauds. I will leave you in your world of 'Jizz Jockeys' and hope you both make it over the finishing line.

Your opinion is not substatiated in a forum where, as I agree with fellow forumites; a lot of moaning is taking place, following the same streams and relying on what the media says next etc and then create another thread because the Daily Telegraph publishes a new photo...

I was just going outside of that box a little mate...

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Murdoch 8)

Marine Jacket Spud
Grommet

Post by Marine Jacket Spud » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:39 pm

willie wrote:Murdoch 8)

Willie Murdoch: He was an old Banjo player from the seventies... :lol: