Japans Whailing and the actions of the "Steve Irwin&quo

Have an environmental cause? Announce and discuss here.

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:39 am

The only way to stop the slaughter is for the Japanese people to pressure their government to end it.

Last year I was up at Hervey Bay and went on a whale watching cruise. The Japanese people I spoke to on that cruise were horrified that their country's whalers still engaged in the annual slaughter.

It seemed that the Japanese population at large are relatively unaware of the situation.

The more this issue is put in the worldwide media spotlight the better.

Anyhoo, the "hippy pirates" are now safely aboard the Australian customs vessel.

Now back to battle stations.

Butts

Post by Butts » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:15 am

Hornet wrote:Sea Shepherd’s guided by the United Nations World Charter for nature. Sections 21-24 of the charter provide authority to individuals to act on behalf of and enforce international conservation laws. In this instance slaughter of whales in Antarctic whale sanctuary.

Hornet, please state which International Conservation Law is being broken
with regards to the Japanese whaling??
Also, please state which International law recognises the Antartic waters as
Australian or any other country for that matter?!
The Australian High court judgement carries no weight in relation to this matter internationally, as its basis is in relation to "Australian waters" of which Antartic is not!!

Don't get me wrong, I do not support the senseless/mindless slaughter of whales by
the japanese regardless of how THEY try and justify it. :evil:

Boozer has the correct approach IMHO 8)

My issue is with the way this latest stunt was executed via illegal means.
It was done in INTERNATIONAL waters, hence no countries laws can be applied,
and is further shown with the Australian customs vessel only being allowed
to approach after BOTH Governments agreeded.
Australian Customs vessels are only allowed to board in Australian waters,
OR where a suspected illegal act was carried out within Australian waters.

As for Japanese people being unaware/appalled of the whaling being carried out,
Ostriches :x

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:25 am

Nuke the whales, yeee-haaaaw!!! *rides H-bomb in Dr. Strangelove fashion*

But seriously, i support the anti-whaling movement.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:39 am

Greenpeace better pick up the bill for the retreival of these 2 crimnal offenders :twisted:
Still reckon Japanese should have executed them.

creased
charger

Post by creased » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:32 pm

dinosaur wrote:
Natho wrote:Also what those two jerks did was illegal. I have no problem if the ship holds them and takes them back to Japan to face charges

bloody oath. maybe then a death march to burma to try and get that bloody railway finished.

:lol: :twisted:

Butts is right, only way we'll see any Govt. action is in "our" recognised territorial waters, if every one had just left them be, for a bit I'm sure they would of slipped up and we would have had the international incident to act on. Confiscate/Quarantine the boats, charge the whalers and put them on an air force Hercules and send the fcuk’s back home :twisted:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:11 pm

If they committed the offence outside 'our' waters then they can be taken back to Japan for trial.
If the Japanase ship entered our waters we can have the crew removed and be sunk (preferably where an artificial reef may be appreciated).
If the criminals boarded in 'our' waters they should now be in custody awaiting trial here with no bail due to the demonstated ability to become a flight risk.
Whether or not whaling is illegal in this manner comes into it not as there is no 'body' to enforce this, however accusing them of piracy and nuking their ship I believe is still legal.

However Piracy = Piracy involves illegal acts of violence or detention committed, against another ship, for private ends on the high seas.
Japanese whalers are sometimes called pirates. Now the Sea Shepherd boats are to be called pirate vessels simply by virtue of losing their registration

So the Greenpeace vessels by defination and actions are Pirates, Japanese vessel is not, so to be fair nuke all 3 vessels :lol:

Whereas by the Piracy Act 1698; it is (amongst other things)
enacted, that all piracies, felonies, and robberies committed on the
sea, or in any haven, river, creek, or place where the admiral or
admirals have power, authority, or jurisdiction, may be examined,
enquired of, tried, and determined and adjudged, according to the
directions of the Piracy Act 1698, in any place at sea, or upon the
land, in any of his Majesty’s islands, plantations, colonies,
dominions, forts, or factories, to be appointed for that purpose by
the King’s commission, in the manner therein directed:
And it is also thereby further enacted, that if any of his Majesty’s
natural born subjects, or denizens of this Kingdom shall commit any
piracy or robbery, or any act of hostility, against others of his
Majesty’s subjects, upon the sea, under colour of any commission
from any foreign prince or state, or pretence of authority from any
person whatsoever, such offenders shall be deemed pirates, felons,
and robbers;
And they being duly convicted, according to the Piracy Act 1698, or
according to the Offences at Sea Act 1536, therein recited, shall have
and suffer such pains of death, loss of lands, goods and chattels, as
pirates, felons, and robbers upon the seas, ought to have and suffer:

The Imperial Acts Application Act 1986 (the 1986 Act), sch 1, listed this Act as an
Act that was to continue to be in force in the ACT (see 1986 Act, s 4 (4)).
The 1986 Act removed any doubt about the application of the Act in the ACT (see
s 6 (3)). However, the application of the Act in the ACT is subject to any
inconsistent non-imperial law in force in the ACT on the commencement of the
1986 Act (see s 8).
The Piracy Punishment Act 1902, section 5 affects the application of this Act by
substituting a maximum penalty of 15 years imprisonment for the penalty of
death.
This Act has not been amended since the enactment of the 1986 Act, except under
the Legislation Act 2001.

Da Duke
Local

Post by Da Duke » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:32 pm

This would bring it to the attention of the average Tokyo Joe-sun.

Lairdy
Grommet

Post by Lairdy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 pm

The Sea Shepherd group is all about direct action. They were formed by one of the founders of Greenpeace, who considered Greenpeace too soft. (Paul Watson is his name.) Watson wanted a more hands on organisation who would actually take on offending whalers, seal clubbers, illegal fishing people etc sleeves up and fists clenched. It is no surprise that these guys boarded the ship. It is exactly what the Sea Shepherd activists do.

It is a hard one to call: Is Watson and his Sea Shepherd's all for saving the Whales(.) ? OR Is Watson an Admiral Lord Nelson wannabe maverick out for glory and attention, fame, status etc

Either way he has succeeded in keeping the plight of the Whales in the public view. However. Has his action hindered rather than improved the Whales chances of survival this Japanese whaling season?

(Apparently this little episode has stalled the slaughter of any Whales for over a week...)

I agree with many posts in this forum: The action en mass of the Australian people could solve this whaling issue:

Make the Japanese Government think:
Boycott Japanese travel, produce, cars, booze, brands... If Australians truly feel that the Whales should live then get together, protest on mass, sign petitions and reduce sales of Japanese goods to / in Australia.
If Whales are endangered then it seems obsurd to slaughter them?!!! Humans have wiped out so many species of life in the last 200 years, why wipe out any more?!

If the people of Australia truly want to save the Whales there are ways to make the Australian and Japanese governments really listen and act upon our wishes. Hey if the Japanese want to make Whales extinct, lets all gang up and make their automobile product sales extinct in Australia...

Phew that was War and Peace. My 75cents...

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Make the Japanese Government think:
Boycott Japanese travel, produce, cars, booze, brands... If Australians truly feel that the Whales should live then get together, protest on mass, sign petitions and reduce sales of Japanese goods to / in Australia.

Exactly what I keep telling Chamberess when she keeps polluting Tangnets section. If people are serious, take action that will eventually hurt Japan in a way that would cause change. Bitching on here does nothing. Additionally attack your local (federal) MP by way of calls, letters, emails demanding a trade embargo against Japan until they cease such actions.

By using deregistered vessels Greenpeace cant put up any kind of case other than an emotional one. By committing actions like the last week's they cement that. I'm certain that death or serious injury will eventuate if Greenpeace persist. I feel for the volunteers families in advance.

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 am

Shaunm wrote:By using deregistered vessels Greenpeace cant put up any kind of case other than an emotional one. By committing actions like the last week's they cement that. I'm certain that death or serious injury will eventuate if Greenpeace persist. I feel for the volunteers families in advance.

Greenpeace and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society are two distinct separate groups.

Greenpeace has stated that they do not support the tactics of Sea Shepherd.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:56 am

As far as I can see there is no one solution to halting Japanese whaling. Diplomatic means are slow and frustrating. Boycotts are futile.

Personally I think it was a brilliant move by the Sea Shepherd folk. No-one got hurt, no-one was in danger and the whalers were only mildly inconvenienced. BUT it put a massive amount of media attention on the issue and forced people to talk. A publicist couln't ask for more.

Similar to the blokes that sprayed 'NO WAR' on the Opera House during the early days of the Iraq war. Of course the action itself wouldn't solve the problem but it made headlines worldwide and got the hacks yacking.

I say good on Sea Shepherd, and good on people following diplomatic paths, and good on those conducting personal boycotts. Each one a better and more noble solution than cutting down other well meaning folk in an internet forum.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 pm

2nd Reef wrote:
Similar to the blokes that sprayed 'NO WAR' on the Opera House during the early days of the Iraq war

IMO the most impressive protest stunt to date.

Greenpeace tend to walk on eggshells with their PR talk so as to not p*ss off the political big wigs. To me, it comes across as insincere and noticeably gagged. But having said that, they still play a vital role in this issue.

I have alot of respect for Captain Watson as he is not afraid to speak his mind and say what he truly feels, even if not everyone can appreciate the passion behind his words. Like most of us, he is sick of the drawn out battle to save the whales- all the red tape, shaking of hands and patting of backs that goes along with achieving such outcomes. So he thought "f**k this, while you all sit around and wait i will actually do something" (i can only assume it's how he feels). It's what i would do if i were in his position. What's the point of being part of a conservation group if you have/make just as little impact as the office worker reading about it online wishing things were different.

But i think it's sad that these two organisations can't work together even though they want the same thing- to put an end to whaling. A kinda good cop/ bad cop scenario at play,

Nick-W
barnacle

Post by Nick-W » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:08 am

I would say self-immolation by a Buddhist monk is the best protest i have seen to date...Maybe that could be their new tactic, board the ship burning...

Why doesn't the whaling around the north pole kick up this much stink? Is it Norway that still whale? It is one of those countries.

All these nature groups are full of nut jobs.
The Animal Liberation Front
PETA
Sea Shepard
All of them have now committed acts that endanger live and the top two have committed terrorist acts. Never trust a hippie without funny pants

Edit/Addition; "Lee later said that he regrets the decision to create the ALF as non-violent, and that he now believes "there would have been a place for limited violence against animal abusers."[33]" :shock:

AndyTheMan
Grommet

Post by AndyTheMan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:03 am

beach_defender wrote:
It took over 20 yrs for the average folk to understand about Climate change remember. I was protesting about Uranium sales 35 yrs ago, and it still happens.

If we want to stop these countries to behave the way we want them to, then we have to do it politically, sad but true.

The publicity is great, but boarding boats, ramming boats etc is no better than the French blowing up the Rainbow Warrior.

Just wanted to make a comment on this - but before I do, wanted to point out that I agree. I don't mind greenpeace driving boats around to annoy whalers and other 'non-direct action' - hell, I don't even mind some of the direct action, buit think the sea-shepherd guys went a bit far in boarding a boat without permission - was pretty silly....anyway.

My first degree was in Environmental Science and I remember one of my lecturers (who was a world renowned ecologist and wildlife researcher) saying that he, as a scientist, tried to influence governments and politicians with research and information, but pointed out that groups such as greenpeace and sea shepherd also play an important role.

He said that there were key players in all types of conservation.

the SCIENTISTS, needed to provide the info.

The ECONOMISTS needed to point out viable alternatives

the POLITICIANS needed to have the foresight to change things.

He also pointed out that agencies such as greenpeace, sea shepherd etc played their part in getting publicity and bringing issues to the public attention.....

So perhaps, whilst we say that their actions are stupid -= perhaps thats exectaly what they want - they got some public interest and media attention.....???

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for that Boozer wasn't aware, so SSCS should be prosecuted and pay the tab

"Greatest Stunt" :roll: :lol: Cunning stunts? No War = Junvenile copycats

NickW & Beach defender good points.

I'd be really suprised if anyone on this site got enjoyment from reading watching whales get nailed.
Last edited by Shaunm on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Now I've only read this last page, 'cause I'm lazy.

I think well done to the clowns that boarded the ship. I also say well done to the clowns that painted the No War slogan. OlManAndy summarised it nicely - in the overall picture it is an important component.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:54 pm

Said it before and will say it again despite coping aggro on another thread: when it comes to whaling, Sea Shepherd is all about stunt headlines which work in the west and which do nothing but get the backs of the Japanese (not just the pollies, the ordinary Japanese) up. Greenpeace, what ever you think of them, at least have considered, long term strategies for stopping whaling. It may be boring to the ADHD generation, it might not get a front page story, and as someone said, it can sound whimpy, but YOU here in Oz ain't the target. It's the average Japanese who will stop whaling and that's Greenpeace's strategy: change their mindset and they MIGHT just listen to the distress whaling causes many people and Japanese Politicians MIGHT just listen to their own people.
Look at the Humpback backdown. Sea shepherd or any stunt had nothing to do with that. A strategy of peaceful people power worked.
Chuck rancid butter onto the decks of a Japanese whaler? Yeah that really worked towards a long term solution.
Anyway the Japanese destruction of fish stocks around the world is far more important and far more damaging to the environment than killing whales. They've been cynically overfishing southern bluefin tuna for years.

\

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Re-reading everything here I suggest a ban on Japnese surfing and golfing in Aus until they cease not only whaling but any commercial fishing outside their waters. I feel, although like RSA was hit with, this may turn the public against their Govt and force some eventual change.